Friday 27 July 2012

Review: Passion Pit "Gossamer"

Back in 2010, I discovered Passion Pit when they played at Bluesfest. A close friend of mine took me to the show, and I fell head over heels in love with their music. They put on a fantastic show, one that I will never forget. Since then, I have been a very big fan of Passion Pit.

Tuesday, I picked up "Gossamer", Passion Pit's sophomore album. Being a huge fan of their first album "Manners" (2009), I knew that it would be really hard to beat... However, "Gossamer" managed to reach the same level of quality. This album feels more mature than the previous, although the distinct Passion Pit sound is still present (which is a great thing).

Most of the songs on the album are upbeat and fun but all of them are filled with emotion and feel quite raw. The music can make you smile and dance, but still manages to creep under your skin and shake you to your core. Lead singer Michael Angelakos' vocal range is very impressive, and this album really showcases it (a lot more than "Manners" does, in my opinion). In addition, he wrote of all the songs on the album, all of which are phenomenal. There is not one song on the album that I do not like.

Angelakos has recently come forward and admitted to dealing with some mental health issues. This apparently made the process of recording "Gossamer" quite challenging. This makes listening to this album so much more meaningful, knowing the story behind it. Kudos to him for coming forward with his struggles, especially when there is such a stigma attached to mental health and mental illness. Also, kudos to his bandmates for supporting him through this tough time. If you have a few minutes, this article is definitely worth a read.

Overall, "Gossamer" is a great album and definitely worth checking out. To me, listening to Passion Pit always feels like a magical experience. So have a listen and let yourself be taken away.

Favourite track: "It's not my fault, I'm happy"


I cannot wait to see Passion Pit at Osheaga next week. The show is going to be epic!

No comments:

Post a Comment