Tuesday 31 July 2012

Countdown to Osheaga: Austra

The countdown to Osheaga continues! Today I'm listening to electro group, Austra.

I'm lucky enough to have a great friend who feeds me really good music on occassion. My friend said something along the lines of: "This is Austra. You will like it." Indeed, I did. My friend was right. By the time I started really getting into the group, they had just played a show in Ottawa, which I missed sadly.

SIDENOTE: This particular scenario always happens to me. I usually get really excited about an artists or a band  months/years after everyone else has jumped on the bandwagon. I'm OK with that. I need to become a fan on my own time... It's fine. However, in most cases, I start obsessing over certain artists/bands, then say: "Hey, wouldn't it be great to see this/these gal/guy(s) live?!?!" That's usually about the time where my partner or friend would say "Julie, they were in Ottawa # of weeks/months ago..." Then I get really sad... Story of my life.

In many cases, the band or artist whose show I missed tends to return to the general area for another show later on and I manage to catch that show. This is the case for Austra.

The Canadian trio have only released one album so far but it's definitely making waves. "Feel it Break" was nominated for a Polaris Music Prize in 2011.

I really enjoy Austra's music and I'm really excited for their set at Osheaga. 

Here's the video for the song "Lose it", one of my favourites off the album. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment