Thursday 12 July 2012

Bluesfest: Day 5

On Day 5 of Bluesfest, I decided to take it easy and only attend shows in the evening. My first and only stop: the Electro stage. So far I have really enjoyed the acts that have performed on that stage. Sunday was no different.

After hearing such great things about the group, I was really excited to check out A Tribe Called Red (ATCR). They certainly lived up to the hype; the group's performance was fantastic! These three local MC's put on a great show for the crowd. They seemed like they genuinely having fun. They succeeded in mixing cool beats and some interesting authentic aboriginal sounds.

The crowd was enthusiastic and danced throughout the set. They ended their set with a rendition of Nelly Furtado's Big Hoops (Bigger the Better), a song that they collaborated on with Furtado. Overall, this show was a great introduction to the group and I am definitely a fan now.

Here's a small clip of their performance:



ATCR was opening for Chromeo, who were performing a DJ set that night. Despite not doing a traditional Chromeo performance, the boys attracted quite a large crowd. I was particularly surprised with the turnout, especially since Norah Jones was playing on the Main Stage at the same time.


File:Chromeo (Promo Photo 2010).jpg
Photo courtesy of Wikipedia.

The boys, P-Thugg and Dave 1, were quite energetic and knew how to engage the crowd. However, having seen a Chromeo show last September, their set was not up to par with their live performance. I definitely preferred the Chromeo show to their DJ set. Also, I was expecting them to play Duck Sauce's Barbara Streisand, which they didn't. Despite this, both shows succeeded in making me dance my butt off.

As for Bluesfest Day 6-7-8, I decided to take a (much-needed) break. I'm headed back to Bluesfest tonight for Day 9, with Sam Roberts Band and the Sheepdogs. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment